Archive - Dec 16, 2011
The majority of tax collections from the city's 1.5 percent Advertising and Promotion Commission tax in 2012 will be dedicated toward construction of an events center in Benton.
On Thursday night the A&P Commission made that decision as part of the process of finalizing its 2012 operating budget.
The commission voted to dedicate 96.5 percent of revenue from the A&P tax toward construction of the events center with the remaining 3.5 percent to be allocated for administrative costs.
The Bryant Hornets defeated their rival Benton Panthers 48-39 on Nov. 22 earlier this season at Benton arena. The Hornetsâ€™ win was the first over the Panthers since 2005, but tonightâ€™s Saline County Shootout in Bryant may have a different result than the first meeting.
The Panthers (7-2) were without junior guards Quin Allen and Thaddeus Caffery due to injury in the first game. Since their return, the Panthers have gone 6-1, losing to a very good Cabot Panthers team, and Caffery has led the team in scoring.
Imagine yourself as one of the biggest fans in a sports teams history.
A die-hard fan as many would put it. Imagine your team drafting the best player to ever play his sport in the 13th round with the 402nd pick. You may already know where this is going.
Coming into the 2011 high school basketball season, it was unclear as to how both Harmony Grove teams would perform. The senior girls came in with a ton of senior talent from Morgan Ramsey, Macy Coffee and Torie Simmons. For the boys, they did not look near as good on paper. With fair guard play but lacking size, head coach Richard Moore was not sure exactly how the year would play out.
Benton native Wes Gardner played eight seasons in the major leagues â€” from 1984 to 1991 with the New York Mets, Boston Red Sox, San Diego Padres and Kansas City Royals. Drafted in the 22nd round out of the University of Central Arkansas, Gardner was in the same 1982 Mets' draft class with the likes of Dwight Gooden, Roger McDowell and Rafael Palmeiro.
Roughly a week after Albert Pujols signed a monster contract with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the dust is starting to settle a little bit. Pujols decided to take the $3 million more a year with the Angels rather than re-up with the St. Louis Cardinals, the team Pujols spent 11 Hall-of-Fame seasons with and where he won two World Series. Thanks Albert. It was fun.
Bryant Hornets football Coach Paul Calley was named the 7A/6A 2011 Farm Bureau Coach of the Year at the North Little Rock Chamber of Commerce on Monday night.
â€śItâ€™s a tremendous honor,â€ť Calley said. â€śIt is an award for everybody associated with Bryant football.
â€śItâ€™s an honor just to be nominated. I accepted the award, but I accepted it on behalf of my assistant coaches and players.â€ť
Harmony Grove High School basketball has hit a snag over the past few weeks. Both senior high teams have not won a ball game since beating Woodlawn in the opening round of the Bill Gibbs Memorial Tournament on Nov. 29, which Harmony Grove hosted.
Since that win, the Lady Cardinals have fallen to Poyen, for the second time, Mt. Vernon-Enola, Arkansas Baptist and Mayflower. The boys have lost to all of those teams other than Poyen. The Cardinals lost to Perryville in that spot instead.
A close game throughout turned into a 61-55 victory for the Bauxite Lady Miners over the Magnet Cove Lady Panthers in non-conference action Monday night at Fred Dawson Gym in Bauxite.
â€śWe knew it was going to be a tough game,â€ť Bauxite Coach Josh Harrison said. â€śMagnet Cove is a very skilled and hard-working team. Theyâ€™ve got a lot of talent, they shoot the ball well and theyâ€™re very aggressive.â€ť
Lady Miners junior Mary Crow scored 14 points in the first half on her way to a 24-point, six-rebound, six-assist night. She added two steals.