BREAKING: Bill Halter drops out of Governor's race
Former Lt. Gov. Bill Halter dropped out of the race for Arkansas governor Monday, saying he wanted to avoid a divisive primary with former U.S. Rep. Mike Ross for the Democratic nomination in 2014.
Halter, who entered the race in January, told supporters in an email that he was ending his bid for the state's top office. A spokesman for Halter said the former lieutenant governor would not be available for further comment.
"But since we announced our gubernatorial campaign another strong candidate has entered the primary election and in order to avoid a divisive primary and to help unite the Democratic Party, I am ending my campaign for Governor," Halter wrote. "I congratulate Mike Ross on a great start to his campaign and I will be working hard to elect him and other Democratic nominees for office in the coming election."
Neither Halter, who had been mentioned during his gubernatorial bid as a potential candidate for a central Arkansas congressional seat, nor spokesman Bud Jackson said whether Halter was looking at any other races.
"We're not going to play the rumor game that has been going on ever since he first entered the race," Jackson said
Halter announced he was running for governor on Jan. 25, the same day Attorney General Dustin McDaniel said he was dropping out of the race over questions about an extramarital relationship. Ross, who had initially passed on a run for governor, announced his bid April 15.
Halter's announcement comes two weeks after fundraising reports showed he was far behind Ross in the hunt for donors. Ross announced he had raised nearly $2 million during the quarter, while Halter had raised only $102,900.
Ross is now the only announced Democratic candidate for governor. Former U.S. Rep. Asa Hutchinson, state Rep. Debra Hobbs and Little Rock businessman Curtis Coleman are seeking the Republican nomination.
Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe is barred by term limits from seeking re-election next year.