Salem fire destroys family home

By: 
Courier Staff
Staff Writer

About 40 firefighters responded to a fire at approximately 7:40 p.m. Wednesday that destroyed a home on Bland Loop.
When the Salem firefighters responded to the scene, a detached garage was already destroyed and about one-third of the roof of the home was on fire, said Salem Fire Chief Gil Carpenter.
The house was deemed a total loss.
At the time of the accident, the family, which includes two adults and three children, were attending a church service.
Neighbors called 911 after they heard an explosion and saw black smoke coming from the home.
Firefighters believe the explosion was caused by propane and black powder that was stored in the garage, according to the home owner.
The owner had burned some items outside the garage earlier in the afternoon and firefighters believe the burn pile reignited causing the house fire.
The firefighters from the Salem Fire Department were assisted by the Bryant, Collegeville, Lake Norrell and Crows Fire Departments.
"Everybody was needed," Carpenter said.

Category: