Bauxite moves on in tourney

The second round of the consolation side of the Bill Gibbs Memorial Tournament bracket resumed Wednesday with three Saline County Teams battling to play on Saturday. The first of the three being the Bauxite boys team in a contest with Carlisle, which lost to Poyen on Tuesday.
The Miners, which lost to a well-coached and athletic Perryville team on Monday, came out a little stiff on Wednesday, but quickly turned up the heat on their way to a 51-30 rout of Carlisle.
The Miners missed a few early buckets before getting on the board to tie the game at two on a Tyler Hill field goal.
Hill hit a free throw followed by a bucket by Cody McPherson giving Bauxite the three-point advantage at 5-2. The Miners allowed another bucket by Carlisle before going on a 12-0 run to end the first quarter at 17-4. Miners’ guard Hunter Holder hit a last second 3-pointer to end the quarter.
The Miners extended their scoring run to 18-0 in the second quarter to lead Carlisle 23-4 early in the second. The Miners’ defense held Carlisle to 13 points in the first half to take a 23-point lead at 36-13.
McPherson played a big role in the lead, scoring 10 big points in the second quarter after totaling only two in the first quarter.
The previous game, head coach Mark Smith said that he didn’t think that McPherson played very well and was taking bad shots. As for this game, it was the exact opposite.
“We met with the whole team yesterday and kind of explained what everyone’s strengths were and what their roles were,” Smith said. “We really emphasized working on your strengths and make them the strong point of the game. We told McPherson that when he missed a shot or when things went bad in a game that he pressed it and let it get to him. We told them to ride out the good plays and play out the bad.”
Smith said that McPherson was forcing too many shots on Monday when he had 20 points.
“Tonight he scored 17 and didn’t force any shots,” Smith said.
The second half continued to stay in the favor of Bauxite, with the Miners hitting two 3-pointers while only allowing Carlisle to score eight, holding them to single digits scoring for the third straight quarter.
“The guys asked us before the game if they could start out pressing to really get them going,” Smith said. “We said they could but if they were not busting their butts then we were not going to do it, but they did.”
McPherson added five more points in the third. The fourth quarter was the only one the Miners were outscored in by Carlisle, scoring only a single bucket while allowing nine. That did not matter, though, as the Miners went on to defeat the Bison 51-30 to move into the consolation game on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
McPherson led Bauxite with 17 points followed by Holder with 12.
“Our goal was to go 3-0 in this tournament, but we didn’t and the second best thing was 2-1 and we now have a chance to do that,” Smith said.