Huckaby officially charged with attempted capital murder

Josh Briggs
Managing Editor

A Bryant man has been officially charged with attempted capital murder stemming from an incident that took place Jan. 2.

The charges were filed Monday at the Saline County Courthouse.

Curtis Huckaby, 50, is currently jailed on a $2 million bond.

Officers first responded to Carywood Drive in Bryant around 1:15 a.m. Jan. 2, for a report of a physical disturbance between the suspect and his son, Brock Huckaby.

Brock said his dad showed up at the house and was “acting crazy,” telling him that the “dog was spying on him.”

Brock then said his father proceeded to hit him on the head with his fists. Officers reported that Brock had blood on his hands and face. He was transported to Saline Memorial Hospital where he was treated for a 2-inch laceration.

While searching for Curtis, officers received a call from a clerk at Big Red Valero on Reynolds Road (near Kum & Go) in Bryant around 2:10 a.m.
According to an arrest disposition report, the clerk, later identified as Erica Greene, was screaming for help and told officers that Curtis had entered the store claiming to be a part of “Seal Team 6.”

The clerk said Curtis grabbed her and forced her from the store with her arms behind her back before assaulting her in the parking lot with his fists and an unknown object.
After hitting the victim for several minutes, the suspect returned to his vehicle before running over Greene with both passenger-side tires prior to fleeing the scene.
Officers were later dispatched to Big Red Valero near Hill Farm Elementary School around 2:15 a.m. where clerk Kristy Eddy said a man matching Curtis’ description attempted to force her to leave with him.

Eddy told officers that she was in the kitchen/office area of the store when Curtis entered the store yelling “everyone down on the ground.”

Eddy said she complied with Curtis’ demands and that he later entered the room she was in stating he was “Seal Team 6” and that she needed to come with him because the store was “under fire.”
After threatening to call 911, Eddy said Curtis yelled for her not to call the police or she would die, according to a report.

Eddy said she retrieved her phone after noticing Curtis did not have a weapon.
The report says Curtis attempted to take the phone and also attempted to force Eddy to go with him, but the victim was able to get behind the counter and push the panic button.
That is when Curtis fled the store.

Eddy was not injured during the altercation.

Curtis was located nearby on Hill Farm Road before proceeding to lead officers on a high-speed chase that reached speeds of 100 to 120 miles per hour, according to police.

The chase ended near the Morgan/Maumelle exit in Faulkner County after Curtis’ vehicle ran out of gas. He was arrested without incident.
Initially, Huckaby faced charges of kidnapping; aggravated assault; felony fleeing; reckless and prohibited driving; possession of drug paraphernalia; possession of an instrument of crime; first-degree battery; second-degree battery; third-degree battery; and two counts of felony criminal mischief.